icon phone icon search icon facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon weather
NOW PLAYING
Algoa FM Breakfast with Wayne, Lee and Charlie T
NOW PLAYING
icon up next
Mio Khondleka
UP NEXT
icon now playing
Algoa FM Breakfast with Wayne, Lee and Charlie T
NOW PLAYING
icon up next
Mio Khondleka
UP NEXT
 

Politician in court for allegedly circulating voice note calling for violence

PA leader in Gauteng Bruce Nimmerhoudt (45)

Twitter


A senior member of the Patriotic Alliance (PA) in Gauteng is behind bars for allegedly inciting to commit violence by circulating a voice note on social media.

The 45-year-old Bruce Nimmerhoudt was arrested on Friday and appeared briefly in the Roodepoort Magistrates Court on Monday.

A spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority Phindi Mjonondwane says Nimmerhoudt was arrested after a voice note was circulated where a man could be heard inciting members of society in and around the areas of Krugersdorp, Randfontein and Roodepoort to commit public violence.

Nimmerhoudt will remain in custody until his next court appearance on the 26th of July.

The State requested time to conclude their investigation to prepare for the bail hearing.

Meanwhile, the National Leader of the PA Gayton Mckenzie took to Twitter to defend Nimmerhoudt.

In a series of Tweets, McKenzie questioned the validity of the accusations stating that Nimmerhoudt had been sick with Covid-19 and could not have been the so-called "mastermind" of the riots.

Mckenzie further stated that Nimmerhoudt, who is a father and community builder, had lost both his parents and 10 family members in a matter of months due to Covid-19.

He insists that Nimmerhoudt is innocent and referred to the charges as a joke.

Mjonondwane said a further 587 people appeared in various courts in the West Rand district on Monday on charges ranging from public violence and theft to malicious damage to property.

She says this brings the total number of those facing prosecution for the looting spree in Gauteng to 682.

Mjonondwane says most suspects were remanded in custody as their bail hearings are scheduled from the 19th of July to the 21st of August.

She says, after careful consideration, 20 were granted bail of between R1 000 and R5 000.

The suspects are aged between 18 and 72.

The NPA continues to deal with the influx of dockets related to the past week's unrests.

Most Read

Abandoned car on Van Stadens Bridge leads to discovery of body
Abandoned car on Van Stadens Bridge leads to discovery of body
Cleaners make grim discovery on Gqeberha beach
Cleaners make grim discovery on Gqeberha beach
Two killed in fiery EC crash
Two killed in fiery EC crash
Disaster Management Act Regulations Issued
Disaster Management Act Regulations Issued