Warriors and Standard Bank Proteas fast bowler Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup due to a hand injury.
Nortje fractured his right thumb while practicing in the nets at St Georges Park on Monday afternoon and will need six to eight weeks to make a full recovery.
The World Cup starts on the 30th of May with the Proteas up against the hosts England in the opening match at The Oval in London.
Proteas team manager, Dr Mohammed Moosajee, lamented the unfortunate nature of the injury, especially because Nortje had made a successful recovery from the shoulder injury he sustained during the series against Sri Lanka. "He has had a few injury setbacks in the last year but knowing Anrich's character he will be motivated to come back stronger. We wish him a speedy recovery," said Moosajee.
All-rounder Chris Morris has been named to replace Nortje in the squad. The 32-year-old Morris last played an ODI for South Africa in February 2018, but brings with him an 'X-factor' appeal as well as depth with the bat.
National Selection convener Linda Zondi said Morris had always been in the Proteas plans and is the team's next best option with the ball. "It is unfortunate what has happened to Anrich, he is a talented player with exciting potential. We wish him well on his road to recovery and have no doubt that he will bounce back to fulfill his potential," said Zondi.