When Saturday finally rolls around, there’s nothing better than sleeping in a little longer that makes you feel better about that 6 am wakeup call Monday through Friday. But unfortunately for all of us, sleeping in once or twice a week can really throw our bodies off. Here are some ways sleeping in on the weekends can affect you:
- You can throw off your internal clock by sleeping in once or twice a week and waking up early the other five days.
- You can experience social jet lag, which basically means you’re making your Monday morning alarm even more intolerable.
- It can lead to sleep deprivation because you’ll have slept so much on the weekend, you won’t be able to fall asleep at a good time on Sunday night.
- It can affect your immune system if you’re feeling tired all the time.
- Insomnia could get worse as you throw off your sleep schedule more and more.
- Risk of hypertension goes up if you’ve really thrown your sleep schedule off.
- It’ll put you in a constant bad mood because you’ll be too tired to do anything all the time.
It’s better to just go to bed earlier when you want some extra sleep instead of wasting your Saturday and Sunday mornings away by sleeping in. Keeping to your early wakeup time can make that Monday morning alarm all that much more bearable.