Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism will soon be able to get its wheels turning again after Council approved its request for R7m in emergency funding to prevent its doors from closing
The agency revealed that funds couldn't be released after it was discovered that there was a non-compliance issue at its annual general meeting last week Friday.
According to the tourism agency's chairperson, Buli Ngomane the emergency funding was approved at a council meeting on Tuesday night.
She said NMBT had already invoiced the municipality meaning that the process to receive emergency funding had begun.
"This industry is valued at about R400m at this time of year and we need to service it but also there are people involved with lives and families to support," she said.
Ngomane told Algoa FM News that some staff members were told to take time off owing to avoid incurring additional operating costs.
"The staff at NMBT can look forward to a reprieve from this period of waiting, the only thing now we need to make sure of is that those wheels must turn in the city and we try to conclude this as soon as possible,".