Students affiliated to the EFF Student Command tried to block access to North and South campuses again on Monday morning.
Nelson Mandela University says Protection Services and additional security personnel were deployed to try and clear the barricades.
Violence ensued and the SA Police Service had to enforce the standing interdict that prohibits protesting students from blocking access to the University. This resulted in a stand off between protesting students and police.
The South African Students Congress, Sasco, and the EFF Student Command says a mass meeting was held on the 26th August in response to the outcry by students at NMU about safety issues in particular.
Sasco says NMU had failed to respond to their demands, leaving students with no other option but to resort to mass action.
The student organisation is also demanding wifi and want an update on when a new residence will be built for students.
NMU says management will try to engage the protesting students, who have not approached the University to verify whether any of the matters agreed to last week had been effected.
The situation continues to be monitored.
Staff are urged to liaise with the line managers and students with their lecturers.
Police Spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu says two stun grenades were used to disperse a group of between 30-50 protesters.