Another delay in Omotoso trial in PE High Court

10:56 (GMT+2) Wed, 14 Aug 2019

Human trafficking and rape accused, Timothy Omotoso, has lost another application in the Port Elizabeth High Court.

The controversial Nigerian pastor was seeking leave to appeal a decision by Judge Irma Schoeman last week after she turned down another defence application challenging the jurisdiction of the PE High Court to hear all the charges against him and his co-accused.

Omotoso, Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho, face more than 90 main and alternate charges in their widely reported trial.

In turning down the application by defence attorney, Peter Daubermann, on Wednesday, Judge Schoeman said that she was of the view that there would be no reasonable prospects that the Supreme Court of Appeal would come to a different decision.

Daubermann said he would now petition the Appeals Court and has 30 days to do so.

Meanwhile, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson, Luxolo Tyali said this move by the Defence would further delay trial proceedings.

Tyali, however, said that as soon as the matter is back at the High Court the State would be ready proceed with the trial.

"It was actually our argument that there no prospects of them being granted leave to appeal but it is unfortunate that we also have to endure another delay because they are going to petition the Supreme Court of Appeal," he said.

The trial has been postponed to the 7th of October.





TOP STORIES