Volkswagen South Africa (VWSA) says they will continue to monitor the situation at the Port of Ngqura where a go-slow started over two weeks ago.
VWSA has been hardest hit by this strike action, and has lost 400 of its 680 production units per day as parts required from overseas are not making it through the port to its Uitenhage factory.
In a statement on Thursday, Transnet said it had suspended a number of employees at its Ngqura Container Terminal for engaging in the illegal industrial action which was having a negative impact on all customers serviced by the port of Ngqura - particularly the citrus and automotive customers.
Spokesperson Molatwane Likhethe said Transnet is continuously engaging with customers to communicate business continuity plans including prioritising some of the urgent cargo.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber earlier this week expressed their deep concern about the go-slow saying that it caused serious damage to the local economy.
Volkswagen was able to off-load the bulk of the containers on their vessel on Thursday which consisted mostly of critical production parts such as engines and gearboxes.
Meanwhile, the DA's shadow minister of public enterprises, Natasha Mazzone, said she'll be writing to Transnet to request an urgent update on developments at the Port of Ngqura, and how the entity plans to address this strike action.