At least 13 killed, 53 injured in double suicide bombing in Nigeria

08:14 (GMT+2) Sun, 03 Dec 2017

At least 13 people have been killed in two suicide bombings in north-eastern Nigeria, police said Saturday.

Two women used suicide vests to blow themselves up in and near a market in the city of Biu in the restive state of Borno, killing at least 13 and injuring another 53 people.

Witnesses estimated a much higher death toll than the official figure.

Victor Isuku, a police spokesman in Borno state, said that the site of the bombing had been secured and those injured transported to hospital.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The extremist group Boko Haram poses a regular threat to communities in north-eastern Nigeria and has also launched offensives in
neighboring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

Since 2009, tens of thousands of people have died at the hands of Boko Haram in the region. An estimated 2.5 million people fled their
homes.

The group’s goal is to enforce a strict interpretation of Islamic law, known as sharia.


-ANA


TOP STORIES