SABC suspends alleged sex pests

17:58 (GMT+2) Fri, 07 Dec 2018

The SABC has suspended several individuals accused of sexual harassment at the public broadcaster.

Corporation spokesperson, Neo Nomodu, said on Friday that notices of suspension were served on those who were identified in a report by a Commission of Inquiry.

She said the Commission’s report had also identified additional employees who may not have been perpetrators of sexual harassment but may have been complicit by either aiding or abetting sexual harassment, through their act of omission or commission.

Nomodu said the SABC was in the process of formulating charges in line with its human resource policies and legislation adding that those identified will be given the opportunity to tell their side of the story.

She said the commissioners received 40 submissions and interviewed 11 perpetrators in connection with ten cases lodged.  At least 25 managers were interviewed.

The commission, chaired by Barbara Watson, released its report early last month.

- African News Agency (ANA)


TOP STORIES