Our education centre is based in a remote rural village on the Wild Coast. We teach English via our structured one-one-one programme at 2 junior schools through the help of international volunteers as well as we run various after school programmes such as fun English lessons, gymnastics, drama, chess, knitting or tutoring, all depending on the skills which the volunteers have to offer.
Besides being effective in the classroom, we also support the community in music and sports by supplying kit and nutritional supplements, offer mentorship and give career guidance, culminating in linking successful applicants with bursary / scholarship applications.
Our Projects include :
A daily one-on-one reading programme with foundation phase students at two junior schools.
- After school activities
Various daily after school programmes at our education centre for students such as English lessons, crafts, drama, chess, maths tutoring, gymnastics etc.
- Annual Maths Olympiad
An annual maths competition between various high schools in our district who compete against each other for a floating trophy as well as we supply sponsored prizes.
- Our vehicle which we use to transport our international volunteers has 4 smooth tyres and is in desperate need of a major service.
- An additional 5 000 liter water tank as we do not get municipal water.
- A mobile data contract to be able to offer students access to the internet for school research and career guidance.
- Funds to complete building renovations. Our education centre is operational but we still need a few minor yet unaffordable items such as concrete floor paint, doors, security gates, missing window, ablution renovations as well as structural storm damage repairs.
- Funding to cover daily running expenses.
• A colour printer for printing phonics flashcards for more schools who would like to implement our reading programme.
We see students from Grade 1, 2 and 3 for 10 minutes at a time, twice a week in a container sponsored by Breadline to do our one-on-one reading programme. Our programme is designed to take students from introducing them to the phonic alphabet to beginner readers in 2 months. We progress with students in these sessions until they are able to read a story with comprehension and are able to answer questions about the story.
Students who visit our education centre after school for various activities have become more confident English speakers.
One of our success stories is Sisipho Hamlomo who grew up in our rural village in a home without electricity but managed to matriculate from Isolomzi High School with distinctions. His mother could not afford to send him to university. He returned to school to tutor mathematics for a year during which time we were able to connect him with R.E.A.P, an NGO that assists underprivileged students with mentorship and funding as well as the Rotary Club Kirstenbosh.
He is in his 3rd year at Rhodes University and is still maintaining excellent results. He returns back to his high school every holiday to tutor and mentor other students who are in the same position.
083 597 6456
074 618 2474
Ngcizela Rural Village
P O Box 25
Account Name: Qolora Education Centre
Standard Bank Current Account
Blue Route branch code : 051001
Account Number: 282249990