Thárros, meaning courage in Greek, is a place of safety for children. We are situated in Hankey and service the Kouga Area and surrounding Sarah Baartman District.
Our mission is to provide a loving, safe, happy and wholesome home to babies and children up to the age of 12 who have experienced abuse, abandonment or neglect. Children are placed with us for 6 months during which time they receive holistic intervention therapies such as Play Therapy, Protective Behaviour skills, Emotional Freedom Technique skills (tapping), group work and more. Wherever possible we work towards reunification with the family.
Our current projects include :
- Financial support: Thárros is in its infancy and operational costs such as salaries, rent, water and lights are funded personally. At present we care for 6 children, however, the centre can accommodate 25 and the need is there. Our challenge is the outlay for more care workers and higher operational bills.
- Baby Nursery: Our nursery room has yet to be decorated and furnished. For this, we require 3 cots, mattresses and bedding, a changing table, curtains and wall decorations.
- Going Green: A goal is to become environmentally efficient. A starting point is to fix our gutters around the house and lead them to the Jojo tanks. Secondly to properly install water pipes so that rainwater is appropriately used, and greywater can run off into the garden.
A list of our needs:
- Volunteers: maintenance, gardening, reading, cooking, playing, professionals
- Gas or Induction geyser for the kitchen
- Painting the exterior of the house
- Child Care Work training
- First Aid Training
- Formula and Nappies
- Non-perishable foods – especially tinned food, milk, flour, yeast, pasta
Contact person: Thérèse (Taise) Sampson
Tel/Cell: 083 500 0910
Physical Address: 704 & 705 Main Street, Hankey, 6350
- Banking details for those who may wish to donate to you
- Bank: FNB
- Account Name: Thárros Trust
- Account Number: 62617211074
- Branch Code: Jeffreys Bay 210515 or universal 250655
- Account Type: Cheque
- Reference: Algoa Cares