Algoa Cares November 23rd : Diabetes SA
Diabetes SA is a non-profit organization founded in 1969 to be a support and an advocate for all people with diabetes. Diabetes has become known as the Tsunami of the 21st century, killing more people worldwide than AIDS and cancer. Our main objective is to bring Diabetes into the spotlight, in the hope that it gains the recognition it deserves, instead of remaining in the shadow of HIV AIDS and Cancer.
- Diabetes SA depends entirely on membership fees, donations and fund raising activities to finance its work.
- Our mission is to assist all people affected by diabetes so that their lives may be as healthy and satisfying as possible
- Their top 3 projects :
- Denim for Diabetes: Exchange uniform for civvies for one day. Give small donation to Diabetes SA, we provide DVD and CD to schools
- Establish Diabetes Wellness Groups in more areas. Need volunteers to run this and venues where meetings may be held.
- Be available on the phone to lend an ear and advise where one can go for professional help
- A list of their needs :
- First and foremost their need is financial :(to cover phone, postage, petrol, stationery, printing, computer expenses (mainly cartridges), insurance, upkeep of vehicle, hire of venues for monthly diabetes Wellness groups)
A laptop for PowerPoint presentations
- Statistics if available: see info from International Diabetes Federation (of which Diabetes SA is a member) on page two
- Contact person Martin Prinsloo
- Tel/Cell: 082 579 9059
- Physical Address: No office, all are volunteers, Our home is our office: 6 Lyon crescent, Goldwater
- If you would like to donate to this organization you will find the banking details below.
- Account Name: DIABETES SOUTH AFRICA
- Account Number: 2268025497
- Branch Code: 126817
- Account Type: SAVINGS
- Reference: Algoa Cares
''Never be afraid to do what is right, especially if the well being of a person or an animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.” MARTIN LUTHER KING
Thank you for caring